Riley Vest x Rebecca Page
This review is my honest opinion of a pattern I received free of charge as a Brand Ambassador for Rebecca Page patterns.
For the last week on Instagram I've been featuring some of my favorite makes for my son and how fun it is to sew for my boy, so its only fitting I wrap up the week with this super cute vest I made him last month.
The Riley Vest is one of the newest patterns from Rebecca Page Patterns and features quilting, welt pockets, and an optional hood. The vest has a layer of batting for interlining making it cozy and warm as we round out these last couple weeks of winter, and the zipper closure is perfect for this little dude who loves to zip up his jackets all by himself.
I had actually bought this Robert Kaufman flannel and Cotton and Steel lining months ago from Hawthorne threads with the intention of making him some kind of outerwear vest, but had yet to settle on a pattern. So when the Riley Vest came on the scene I knew it would be a great match. The flannel gives it some extra cosiness and the warm and natural cotton batting gave just the right amount of cushiness while still being easy to sew.
I chose to skip the detachable hood because I knew Ren would most likely wear a hat or a lightweight hoodie underneath the vest if head coverage was needed, but I did go for the zipper welt pockets. And they're actually easier than you think! Ren loves the extra zippers to play with and as one who constantly says his hands are cold, is quite happy to have pockets to keep warm.
I also really like the bias bound armscye. Bias bound = easy turning = no hand sewing the lining = a happy Meg. I was nervous how it would go sewing through the layers in the bias binding plus the lining, batting, and outer fabric, but it actually went just fine and I had no trouble getting it all done. The one change I made was that instead of attaching the binding to the outside, folding to the lining side and then sewing, I attached the binding to the lining side, folded over the the outside, and then sewed it down. This way I could clearly see the binding to make sure I was catching the edge, giving me a cleaner finish. Oh! And though I'm normally the biggest fan of topstitching, I omitted that detail around the outer edges of the vest, simply because I was happy with how it looked without it.
The Riley vest comes in Women's and Doll sizes as well (with a bundle for all three too) and while I can't speak to the fit of the women's Riley, I do love how this kids one came out. I made a 2/3 with 3/4 length and it fits him great--he has a little room to grow but he's not swimming it it. But what I love most about this pattern is that its a great option for boys. In a world where there is a seemingly endless stream of patterns for traditionally female clothing like dresses, skirts, and feminine rompers for girls, finding quality patterns for boys is often difficult and frustrating. Girls that don't enjoy gender stereotypical clothing are often left with fewer options as well. I'm glad this vest is one more unisex option that can appeal to both boys and girls!
I am so pleased with how this vest turned out in the Kaufman flannel and I'm interested to see it in some other substrates like soft-shell or maybe even ripstop for a utilitarian, water resistant option.
And here's to hoping that the rest of March will be filled with warmer Spring sewing!